My Story

Thursday 22 March 2018

A Series Of Unfortunate Compromises

In the first three months after I was diagnosed, I was a basket case. For three months, I really only spoke to my husband and my mother. And many of the conversations with my mother were often unilaterally angry (poor woman). Occasionally I'd also talk to my father and my sister but only if I really had to. And I have a good relationship with my father and a pretty good one with my sister. So for me to barely speak to them both for a good chunk of time just shows how scrambled my brain was. Friends were ignored completely in that time. They were so supportive though; giving me space, happy to keep a sporadic one-way conversation going until I was ready to talk.

As much as I was mentally in turmoil then, one thing became apparent to me very quickly: my life was now severely compromised and would be until I died. At the time, I could barely breath. My mother had to cook and clean for me. I could barely shower, I was so breathless and so in pain. My working life was over. Life closed in overnight. It was an exceptionally difficult reality for a 31 year old woman to face and accept. Before I started experiencing the pain and breathlessness that led to my diagnosis, I used to cycle everywhere, sometimes with a backpack full of heavy groceries on my back. It was so hard to accept that that part of my life was now over.

My treatments have all worked well for me and that has helped to expand my world a little since that awful few months three year ago. I can now cook and clean and shower and have been doing so for more than two years now. But compromises are still there and these still restrict my life and always will. Because I am married, I am ineligible to receive social welfare because my husband's quite modest income is taken into account. The threshold is very low. This leaves us very badly off. Compromise. My husband proposed to me in a hospital bed at my lowest ebb. I'm not the most girly girl but I did dream of a romantic, happy proposal. Instead, I was hairless and in mental turmoil. Compromise. The medications I take make it really difficult to lose weight and therefore I am not happy with my appearance. Compromise. I felt and looked really unattractive on my wedding day. Compromise. Because of our low income and the sky-high rents where I live, we must stay in our rent-controlled apartment even though it doesn't really suit us any more. Compromise.

Compromise, compromise, compromise. I could go on.

And this is forever until I die. And my husband's life is also compromised too. That heaps guilt on top of everything else. I think this early realisation exacerbated my initial period of mental turmoil. I felt so trapped and found it so difficult to get my head around the fact that my life was now so constrained. The lives of my friends and my sister were taking flight: new jobs, romantic proposals, houses, savings. My life could not have been more different and it was for good. And I still struggle with that gulf between me and them. It has become a little bit easier to deal with, mainly because I compartmentalise my feelings when a friend tells me of exciting developments in their life. But it is still hard.

And there are no easy answers. There's no neat resolution. It just is what it is. I will be broke and fat and my health will decline and then I will die. That's how this plays out.

I told my husband the other day that if I could choose one word to describe my feelings towards cancer and what it has done to my life, that word would be: disappointment. That's the overriding feeling. This is it? This is what I get? What was it all for? I always struggled with existential angst and being diagnosed with a terminal illness has only heightened that. I really felt the universe was laughing at me when I was diagnosed. I had wasted my life wondering what the point of it all was and it was as if the diagnosis was underlining it all: there is no point!

A bleak entry today and I apologise for that. But I guess part of the purpose of this blog is to try and express some of the thoughts that crowd my head at times. I'd like to say I feel better after writing this but as I said, this is something that will not resolve. It's an open-ended problem that I get to grapple with every day. Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Love. I got told I had mets 2 days ago. And since then, that feeling you talk about, that feeling of 'this is it?' Yup, that's all I've had. And it's crushing. And it's only been 2 days. I felt so positive with My initial diagnosis but now. Not so much. My heart goes out to you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My heart goes out to you too. One thing that really helped me was finding others in my position as only they could truly understand what this is like. There's lots of us on Twitter and there are some Facebook groups. Reach out and hopefully you will feel less at sea. We're a supportive bunch of people! x

      Delete
  2. Crazy T you are wise beyond your years . You are amazing...I am so so sorry for your pain .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mlessis, thank you for your kind words. x I dunno how wise I am but I do try! :-)

    ReplyDelete