My Story

Sunday 17 December 2017

Not Quite Ready For My Beatification

Just a quick post to say that cancer has not made me a saint, it has not made me more Zen, it has not made me wiser, it has not me a student of stoicism.

Cancer has made me:

1) quicker to temper

2) less tolerant of whingers

3) more brittle

4) more blunt

5) too forthright

6) angrier

7) MUCH more flaky and unreliable

8) lazier

I could go on and on.

On top of everything else they are dealing with, do not expect terminal illness-sufferers to become better people. We have enough on our plates without having to think about conforming to your expectations of how the illness should change us. And we are not oracles either, being diagnosed with a terminal disease hasn't bestowed upon me greater insights into the human condition. I'm as clueless as I ever was before. The only difference in that I'll be more unequivocal in communicating this fact to you!

A weight has been lifted. Thank you and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment